Monday, January 14, 2008

Crazy for Patterns: Ikat, Batik, Tie-dye, and African Prints PLUS Damian Hirst's Spin Paintings...


(...images from here...)

I am really into all sorts of crazy patterns these days. I think it might be the myspace thing I mentioned earlier and maybe my growing love for M.I.A.. Here is a beautiful example of an ikat textile and here is an great picture of one being woven...

In the same vein are the ever wonderous tie-dye prints and amazing African textile prints. The African ones in particular I can never get over. I think it is so great that A Ervilha Cor de Rosa has been using so many of these colourful prints when making her dolls and baby slings. I have bought a few meters of different African patterns myself the last month or two but I still haven't made anything with it. I keep waiting for that right weekend to buckle down and get to it...

All these colours and prints (especially the Ikat prints) also remind me of these spin paintings by Damian Hirst - I saw one in real life the other day - they are huge! (and spectactular...)




(...images from here...)

Wow. I think I was a bit over ambitous with this post (again)! Hope you had a good Monday...

Bye!

No comments: