Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Robert Venturi and Denise Scott-Brown





(...images from here and here and here and here...)

(...Oh - and here is one other good example...)

This post from Design Observer the other day reminded me of these chairs by Robert Venturi and Denise Scott-Brown (here is their studio). I remember way back in my design history class our professor showed us a slide of one of these and I was totally sold. I was really intrigued with the whole postmodern architecture thing altogether and I have been meaning to read Venturi's book Learning from Las Vegas ever since then. I am now on a mission to find it and read it once and for all.

Here is a little description of the second chair:

"Its shape refers to the traditional Chippendale chair, and its laminated surface is patterned after an old-fashioned tablecloth. Multiple historical references are a hallmark of the Postmodern movement, which was popular at the end of the twentieth century."

The thing going on here which I think is really interesting is how t
he mixing and matching of period styles, (with the reinterpretation of the "classic" chair design (Chippendale), the reference to 50ies laminate countertops and the eighties pastel pattern) - results in a perfectly contemporary piece. AND these chairs were made twenty-odd years ago which is maybe even weirder. What did people think of them then?? Maybe they were just born a decade or two before their time (the chairs not the people!).

In any case. I think they are great. And I think this design duo brought up alot of interesting things to think about...

No comments: