Monday, June 23, 2008

KIOSK - How Did I Miss This?


KIOSK is such a great idea. I can't believe I didn't figure it out before. I remember Hoping for Happy Accidents mentioning this project/shop before but I must not have taken my time with their website. It is such a cool idea and something I am very interested in. From their website:

"We opened the store to offer an antidote to over-design. We consider the objects we stock to be humble, straightforward and beautiful for their simplicity and directness. Often they are traditional goods that have developed over generations or anonymous design found in general stores, DIYs and kiosks, products created by not one personality but things that are the result of local aesthetics and needs. Their beauty is sometimes hard to see in today’s market; our motivation to start Kiosk was to shed some light on these anonymous objects."


They also describe the products they curate and sell as making a "rough portrait" of their travels. I think this is so great on so many levels: letting people appreciate products that have survived fashion and generational changes, support of small businesses, highlighting the beauty in products that are used on a practical day-to-day basis and creating a counter-point to the booming business of selling overpriced luxury-elite-fetish objects (for example, the designer handbag).

Not only that but I really like the simple, functional design of their website and the sharp and witty descriptions of each product. It really made me want to go through the whole site and check out everything. I need to visit the store! Maybe next weekend if I can get the chance. They are also doing a project starting next week where they are exchanging and recycling plastic bags which seems really interesting (hello - eco!). Here, here and here are some examples of the magic they can create out of your corner-store bag...

No comments: