Thursday, June 5, 2008

We All Knew it Would Come to This...





(...more photos of this book over here...)

I kind of knew this would happen. That perfect moment in time where the idea of
macramé just didn't seem so crazy, tacky and hippy-dippy anymore. I saw this book at Housing Works bookstore a couple of weeks ago and knew that that day had finally arrived. But seriously. When I was growing up my Mom had this really nice little beach bag with round bamboo handles that was made from macramé and little red wooden beads - alot like that third photo above - and I always really loved it. I think I even have it somewhere locked up in a closet back in Montreal, waiting for me...

I like this idea of making something out of itself - does that make sense? Like knot up one long string in a certain way and then you can use it to carry things, contain things, or just make a different form - without using any other material to bond it together. It also kind of reminds me of these two photos
of furoshiki that I saw on flickr yesterday (here and here), which uses the same idea. I really like the knotted cloth backpack. I will have to try that out and see if I can get it to work...

No comments: