Monday, August 18, 2008

I Love the Internet and I Love Reyner Banham




Good Lord. Reyner Banham Loves Los Angeles is the best thing I have watched in a long time. I can't believe the whole thing is on-line! Thanks to Samizdat for tipping me off. I am not kidding - this little documentary has it all: Reyner (sigh...), L.A. of course, Venice Beach, van painting, sculpture, surfing, motels, gas stations, topless girls, pineapple sundaes, Ed Ruscha, the Eames House, bubble letters, beards, shades, bicycles, white suits, palm trees, views from the top of the express ways...it just goes on and on. Reyner is totally a man of my own heart.

This is such a terrific example of someone passionately bringing all sorts of interrelated references together in such a witty, intelligent and entertaining way to drive a point home. Breaking down distinctions between high and low culture, city planning and vernacular architecture and the weightiness of European history versus the American dreams of freedom and lived fantasy...


No comments: