Sunday, September 7, 2008

Bruno Munari






I found this great Bruno Munari book the other day in the PS1 bookshop, a flower with love/un fiore con amore. It kind of reminded me of the little ikebana book I posted about way back.

I looked around on the interweb to see if I could find some of the intro text because it was so good, but I couldn't find the paragraph or so that I was looking for - it went something like this:

...it doesn't matter what container or what type of living thing you choose, there are enough of these things everywhere that you don't have to spend a lot of money, just go out and find something. It is about the feeling translated when creating an arrangement with living things. A dozen red roses dumped into a crystal vase has great expense but no feeling, instead infuse ordinary things you find around you with love and care because that is what really counts...

That is me 100% paraphrasing there - so don't quote me on that! Anyway. I thought that idea was really beautiful. Some of the examples he gave were really inspiring - one of the photos above shows an image with just some dried pine needle branches, a few flower heads and a little moss in a dish of water. So simple but just right.

Here are a few more Bruno Munari links if you are interested:

...here at SHIFT...
...here at Nieves...
...a small wiki entry...
...image archive at Collezione Bruno Munari...
...here at artscenecal.com...
...an image of the original cover...

Hope you had a nice weekend - Welcome Fall!

No comments: