Thursday, August 23, 2007

Going to The Movies


(...two photos I quickly snapped in the movie theatre before P took my camera away...)

P and I saw the Woody Allen movie Manhattan on the big screen this summer. It was really terrific. A real masterpiece I think. It was so great seeing it the way you should instead of on our small computer screen at home. I looked around for a clip of the opening scene which is really take-your-breath-away with it's panning shots of the New York skyline and George Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue. Stunning. The only clip I could find though is overdubbed in Spanish! Perhaps more of a reflection on contemporary New York then back in 1979! Wait for the end - because there are fireworks and everything...

(PS. If you want a total spoiler - here is the last great scene before the credits roll - but don't watch it if you haven't seen it yet! You'll ruin everything!)

(PPS. Did you know that Mariel Hemingway (who plays Tracy in the movie at only 17) is the granddaughter of Ernest Hemingway???)

(PPPS. Sorry for all the Wikipedia links - sometimes it's the only good website I can find...!)


No comments: